This website began as an extension of an art project that my mother talked me into doing – drawing a picture every single day for a whole year about what I did that day. Not only was it incredibly useful in building my skills as an artist, it was also a disciplinary exercise.
However, I don’t think I applied this discipline enough… I’m still a master procrastinator. At least I’m trying to change my behaviour; that’s better than nothing, right?
One month after starting this 365-day project, I began to post the works on my website. But then the project evolved to be for the website.
After completing the first year, I kept going. Of course, things can become monotonous – in this case, it was both the grind of drawing and posting each day as well as running out of unique things that had happened in a day. So for my second year-long project, the twist was this: we had a bowl of scrabble tiles, and if I needed something to draw because the day was boring, I would stir the tiles and then use the first word I could construct from the upwards-facing tiles. This also allowed me to expand the topics of what I was drawing; it forced me to draw random verbs and nouns that I otherwise wouldn’t have drawn. I also gave myself the liberty of being able to draw anything else if I so wished.
However, art isn’t my only interest. I also enjoy a number of other things – as mentioned on my about page – one of these such interests being writing. This sparked the concept of my third year-long project; the drauthoring project. Each day, I wrote a paragraph, and then created the illustration to accompany it. Each of the 365 paragraphs were created to flow into each other, creating a full story over the course of the year. The word “drauthoring” is a word I made up that comes from “draw” and “author”, and the “ing” on the end makes it a verb.
Three years of drawing each day generates a lot of images by the end – 1095 of them, to be exact. It also ends up causing a lot of improvement – let me show you.
This is the first person I drew in the 365 days project; the 11th picture. I look back on it now and am disgusted by that sharp triangle of an appendage. (The booger is fine. Just get rid of the pointy nose!!)
Now, for comparison, here is a person I drew from a year later, a little bit after the start of the Scrabble project:
Note the rounded nose and the hair going behind the head. Progress! Also, this is when my people began to have jointed elbows instead of flexible, curvy arms. Yes, the perspective is off in a variety of places, but again: Progress!
Go forward another year to the start of the drauthoring project. Now say hi to my favourite character, child prodigy Damien!
He looks pretty sweet, right? At this point I was also using a fineliner to outline my works and watercolour pencils to colourise them. The arms still have a bit of a curve and that’s part of my style, but it’s not a “doesn’t-make-sense” sort of curve. I find it interesting how the lines I use for ear details are very similar between the original people and the current ones, but in between I tried all sorts of different things.
(If this interests you, I’m making a post on the development of my style – to see it when it comes out, just subscribe via email to the right or below, depending on your device.)
My point is that the doing of these projects has caused a bunch of improvement. To see all 1095 steps in the process, check out each project by selecting a button below, or use the tabs under “Projects” in the menu.